Our distance Highfield Level 3 Award in Education and Training is the ideal course for anyone who wants to gain recognised qualification in teaching and training. It’s the preferred qualification for those new to the teaching role in post-compulsory education . It is a useful CPD qualification for anyone who as training as part of their wider job role. It may also be of interest to qualified assessors who wish to gain a recognised teaching qualification. This qualification replaced the PTLS qualification.
Unlike many other distance courses learners will have a named tutor who will assess , offer regular support and guidance. Learners will also have online one to one tutorials to introduce them to the qualification and support them with the micro teach. The tutor will be a highly experienced tutor, with higher level teaching qualifications, fully qualified assessor, Internal Quality Assurer and External Quality Assurer.
Highfield Level 3 Award in Education and Training consists of three units that must be fully completed to gain the qualification.
- Understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
- Understanding and using inclusive teaching and learning approaches in education and training
- Understanding assessment in education and training
The course content includes the teaching role and responsibilities in education and training, ways to maintain a safe and supportive learning environment, the relationships between teachers and other professionals in education and training, inclusive teaching and learning approaches in education and training and ways to create an inclusive teaching and learning environment.
It is the perfect introduction to teaching and training.
Once your staff enrol with us, they will be assigned a tutor, who will arrange a online face to face induction. During this induction we cover the course and content, plan the timeline and introduce them to the assignments. There is course material for each unit and we will also send the course text book ‘Award in Education and Training’ by Ann Gravells. As they submit their assignments, we will give support and feedback to help them complete successfully.
Once the assignments are completed, there is another tutorial to introduce planning teaching and learning and prepare them for the micro teach. They will complete the session plan and have it approved by the tutor, before carrying it out to give them the best chance of success. Then they will be sent three micro teaches to watch and give feedback on. If your member of staff is teaching they may be able to use one of their planned sessions in place of the microteach.
Once the micro teach is completed the tutor will give feedback, both verbal and written, and your staff member will complete a self assessment.
This completes the qualification.
To complete the qualification learners must complete the following tasks:
- 3 assignments- one for each unit. These are made up of short answer questions clearly linked to the assessment criteria. There are about 6 -10 questions in each assignment. Learners will receive written feedback after you submit each one
- observe three micro teaching online and complete feedback forms for each session.
- complete a micro teach of 15-20 minutes. Write a session plan and carry out the micro teach to a small group (this can be friends and family). The tutor will observe this- it must be recorded. Then complete self evaluation of the micro teach based on the tutor’s feedback and the feedback of the ‘learners’.
- if employed in a teaching role learners can use part of their usual teaching to meet this requirement.
To help learners the tutor will work to agree the timeline/submission dates for the qualification and provide support and feedback after each submission. Learners can resubmit work after feedback. Learners will also have an online tutorial before starting the microteach so learners are fully prepared and have time to ask any questions or address queries.
Learners have up to 3 months to complete this qualification. On enrolling the tutor will contact the learner and arrange an online, face to face induction to introduce the course and give the opportunity to ask any questions. At this meeting learners will plan the submission dates with the tutor so they can ensure that they are completed by the deadline. It also means if you wish your staff to complete to complete the qualification more quickly we can arrange this with you. Some of our learners complete in just 2 weeks!
- registration with the awarding organisation
- expert tutor support
- course text book – Award in Education and Training by Ann Gravells
- teaching observations
On successful completion of this qualification, you may wish your staff to continue their professional development by completing the Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training or a Level 3 Assessor qualification with us.