Enter your keyword


I’m an experienced teaching assistant with my level 3 qualification and wondering what to do next!

I’m an experienced teaching assistant with my level 3 qualification and wondering what to do next!

I love my job, especially this time of year, but I’d really like to challenge myself in the New Year and also be able to demonstrate my abilities and progress my career.

Best for Training says:

There are a range of options open to you which will allow you to learn more and develop your skills. You could consider:

  • Short CPD courses.

These can be found online and are often very specific to a topic, for example, working with children with special educational needs, managing behaviour etc. These are a great way of showing your passion for learning and developing your knowledge in specific areas. This could be useful if you have areas of development identified at your latest appraisal or if you are looking to change your role to focus on a particular area within your school. It’s also a great way to show your updated knowledge on your CV.

  • Gain a higher level teaching assistant qualification

Enrolling on a higher level qualification, such as CACHE Level 4 Certificate for an Advanced Practitioner in Schools and Colleges

This Level 4 qualification aims to provide professional development opportunities for experienced teaching assistants in schools and colleges.

Not only will you develop your skills a teaching assistant, but you will also acquire and use skills of leadership, mentoring, coaching and reflection, preparing you for a more senior role.

Upon achievement of this qualification, you will be equipped as an Advanced Practitioner. The Advanced Practitioner will use crucial leadership skills to mentor others across all roles and responsibilities in the school or college workforce.

Upon completion of this qualification, you could progress within the workforce in the following job roles and responsibilities:

  • Higher Level Practitioner/Teaching Assistant
  • internal progression at a higher level, including those with management responsibilities
  • leadership, mentoring, supervision and management opportunities.

You could also use this qualification as evidence of your ability if you are considering applying for higher education.

Best for Training offer the CACHE Level 4 Certificate for an Advanced Practitioner in Schools and Colleges. If you would like to find out more, please see the website or call 01702 770030 and we will be happy to advise you.

  • Become a qualified teacher

If you are considering becoming a qualified teacher, you need to be working towards a degree and your GCSE grade C / 4 in English and maths – and a science subject for primary trainees, if you have not already achieved these. 

If you already have a degree and your GCSE’s then you can apply to train on a postgraduate initial teacher training course.  Also, bear in mind you may need to update your maths and English (even if you have GCSE’s) as may need this as part of your initial teacher training course.

If you don’t have a degree (or equivalent qualification), you can train on a university-led undergraduate course and graduate with qualified teacher status (QTS). If you do not meet the degree entrée requirements, then its often worth speaking to the university as your experience and vocational qualifications may be taken into consideration instead.

Find out more here: Get into teaching

Good luck with your next steps, we wish you all the best.

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.