Introduction to Motivational Interviewing – CPD for counsellors
Motivational interviewing (MI) has an expanding evidence base of effectiveness beyond addictions and health issues. In this CPD event, participants are exposed to the foundations and elements of MI including the application of MI to assist clients in their change endeavours; this is specifically applicable for counsellors who collaborate with clients in changing behaviours. Specifically, participants leave with an understanding of the foundations of MI including:
- OARS (open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening and summarising)
- Change talk
- The MI Spirit
- MI Principles
Motivational interviewing sits comfortably within a person-centred framework but equally can be used in any framework as an add-on.
Who is this course for?
- Practising counsellors who want to incorporate motivational interviewing into their existing practice.
- Counsellors already working in the field of drug and alcohol looking for a refresher for existing skills.
- Counselling students who want to explore motivational interviewing as a potential specialty at the end of their training.
- Managers and people managers who wish to learn a new approach to motivating employees.
This training will count towards 6 hours of the CPD requirements of practicing counsellors.
Our CPD workshops are incredibly popular and spaces are strictly limited. Please book now to secure your place.